The earliest surviving reference to an organised group of brewers in the City of London was in 1292. However, it was not until 1438, when Henry VI granted the Brewers a royal charter, that they were incorporated as a Livery Company.
Thanks to the generosity of Past Masters, Liverymen and other benefactors, over the centuries the Company has become the custodian of an unrivalled collection of historically interesting works of art, artefacts and other treasures.
The Brewers’ Company has one of the oldest continuous records of any livery company. The historic archive is held at Guildhall Library, whilst more recent records are kept at Brewers’ Hall. There is also a Company Library for use by Members.